Island Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Arrowsmith Lodge longterm care home in Parksville.
Two resident cases have been identified related to this outbreak. The outbreak declaration is limited to the Cottonwood and Dogwood units. Arrowsmith Lodge is owned and operated by Arrowsmith Health Care Society.
Other new outbreaks reported Friday, Jan. 21:
Mount St. Mary Hospital longterm care home in Victoria
Two resident cases have been identified related to this outbreak. The outbreak declaration is limited to the Cedar House.
Mount St. Mary Hospital is owned and operated by Marie Esther Society.
Echo Village longterm care home in Port Alberni
Seven resident cases have been identified related to this outbreak. Echo Village is owned and operated by Alberni-Clayoquot Continuing Care Society.
The case numbers reported in this bulletin are cases that have been confirmed via PCR testing or follow up from Island Health’s case and contact management team.
In general, the following outbreak response protocols have been implemented at the sites:
• No admissions or transfers to affected units;
• Essential visits can continue in outbreak units and sites;
• Staff movement will be limited wherever possible;
• No congregate dining or group activities for residents of affected units;
• Enhanced cleaning and infection control measures will continue;
• Residents, families and staff are being notified;
• Enhanced screening of all staff and residents for symptoms;
• COVID-19 testing as determined by the Medical Health Officer and Infection Prevention and Control.
During this time, Island Health will support the sites to take any further actions required and answer questions from staff, residents and family members. For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.
— NEWS Staff, submitted