(News Bulletin file)

Minor mattress fire could have killed, Nanaimo Fire Rescue warns

Public fire safety warnings issued following potentially deadly fire on Victoria Road

Nanaimo Fire Rescue is again raising the alarm about smoking in bed and not having working smoke alarms.

The warning follows a fire in an apartment bedroom on the 200 block of Victoria Road shortly after 3 a.m. Wednesday that could have turned deadly had it not been caught early.

“This fire had the potential to be a serious fire, however there was nothing more than a burned mattress due to smoking,” said Alan Millbank, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, in an e-mail. “[The tenant] was able to stay in her suite in a multi-family apartment building after the premises was vented and only lost the mattress and box spring. Luckily the woman woke up to the fire before it became too large.”

According to statistics published by the B.C. Office of the Fire Commissioner, smoking is one of the top three causes of fires in homes and fire fatalities.

“People who smoke and are careless with discarding, or extinguishing smoking materials, can be placing not only there own lives at risk, but the lives of others due to fire,” Millbank said.

Millbank went on to say the second issue with this fire was the smoke alarm was not functioning in the apartment complex and the fire department want tenants to be tell their landlords about non-operational smoke alarms and have them replaced and if not replaced, to contact Nanaimo Fire Rescue. Homeowners and renters should check to see if smoke alarms are installed and if the alarms are expired or have dead batteries to replace the batteries or, if necessary, the entire smoke alarm unit.

“I think that it would be important to reiterate that people who smoke inside should not disable their smoke alarm as it is an offence to tamper with fire safety equipment,” Millbank said.



photos@nanaimobulletin.com
Like us on
Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Ballenas grad to perform opera and art songs in Parksville to fund Prague trip

UBC music student Juliana Cook was asked to study and sing in the Czech Republic

Ravensong Waterdancers to get you in sync

Teams will perform 12 routines at watershow on April 28

Soccer Whalers trip 49ers 1-0 in high school clash

Ballenas now prepares for North Island championships

Third delivery of building units for 222 Corfield in Parksville arrives April 26

Vehicles should expect intermittent, single-lane alternating traffic

Dashcam captures close call between minivan, taxi at busy Vancouver intersection

To make the footage more nerve-wracking, a pedestrian can be seen standing at the corner

Waste not: Kootenay brewery leftovers feed the local food chain

Spent grains from the Trail Beer Refinery are donated to local farmers and growers, none go to waste

Deck collapses in Langley during celebration, 35 people injured

Emergency responders rushed to the Langley home

B.C. mom wages battle to get back four kids taken from her in Egypt

Sara Lessing of Mission has help from Abbotsford law firm

VIDEO: Fire guts Peachland home

Crews are still on scene pumping water onto the blaze in the Okanagan neighbourhood

$6K raised in one day’s time for family of woman gunned down in Penticton

GoFundMe launched for family of Darlene Knippelberg, to pay for funeral costs and other expenses

B.C. mountain biker sent home from hospital twice, despite broken vertebrae

Released in Maple Ridge to go home with three fractured vertebrae

Seven tips to travel safely this Easter long weekend

An average of three people are killed, and hundreds more injured, each Easter long weekend in B.C.

Seattle’s 4-20 ‘protestival’ enjoys tolerance, some support – and B.C. could do the same

Seattle’s Hempfest a large-scale occasions with vendors, prominent musical acts and thousands of attendees

Most Read