Ambulance and fire crews responded to a report of a man suffering an injury while milking a snake at a residence on St. George Crescent on Wednesday, Dec. 6. (KARL YU/News Bulletin)

Ambulance and fire crews responded to a report of a man suffering an injury while milking a snake at a residence on St. George Crescent on Wednesday, Dec. 6. (KARL YU/News Bulletin)

Nanaimo man bitten while milking snake, taken to hospital

Fire and B.C. Ambulance crews respond to incident on St. George Crescent on Wednesday

First responders were on scene at a Nanaimo apartment Wednesday afternoon after a man was bitten while milking a snake.

The incident occured about 3:45 p.m. in the 1000 block of St. George Cres.

According to Martin Drakeley, Nanaimo Fire Rescue assistant fire chief, the man was draining venom from the snake.

“The individual was milking a snake at the time and apparently, [it] bit his finger, or somehow the snake injected venom into his finger,” said Drakely. “He was feeling off, obviously, a little woozy and B.C. Ambulance transported him to [Nanaimo Regional General Hospital].”

It is not known if it was a snake bite or the fang scratching the skin, but there was a puncture and venom was injected, Drakeley said.

The status of the victim is not known, nor what type of snake it was.



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image