The Nanoose Volunteer Fire Department responded to a second call at the mobile home during the early hours of the morning on Dec. 14.

Nanoose Bay family looking for a place to stay after fire

The Nanoose Volunteer Fire Department was called to two fires at the residence

  • Dec. 17, 2016 5:00 p.m.

Cheryl Johnson may have thought she had dodged a bullet when a grease fire in her home’s kitchen was extinguished with no more damage than some scorched curtains last Tuesday night in Nanoose Bay.

But she woke less than two hours later to find the trailer house filled with smoke, and it “went up like a matchstick,” she said.

Nanoose Volunteer Fire Department chief Doug Penny confirmed the department responded to two calls at the residence, at 2431 Armstrong Crescent. He also said three separate investigations have been made into the blaze, by NVFD, by Oceanside RCMP and by an insurance adjuster. But he was unable to address the cause of the fire that left Johnson, her husband Dave and their son Kyle, 19, in desperate need of housing in the coming days as Christmas approaches.

The home was a total loss, and a detached shop building was badly damaged.

The Nanoose Bay trailer home of Dave and Chery Johnson was left a charred ruin by a fire that broke out in the early morning hours Wednesday, Dec. 14.          — J.R. Rardon photo

“We did have insurance,” Johnson said. “They’re going to replace our home, and they’re paying for us to stay in a (hotel) for now. But the money is running out and we need a place to live.”

Johnson said the bizarre night began with a grease fire that started as she tried to cook french fries in a dutch oven on her stovetop, an incident that led to the first call to the fire department at 10:56 p.m. on Dec. 13.

“I put the fries in and they came right over the top and started a fire on the burner,” she said. “I threw flour on it but couldn’t get it out. I yelled at my son, who was out in the shop, and he came running in the house. He had a fire extinguisher, and he put it out. The fire was out before the fire department even got there.”

Both Penny and Johnson said fire department responders recommend she not stay in the house that night after that fire.

“But I didn’t have anywhere to go,” she said. “This is my home, and my husband was at work.”

Johnson said she went to bed a short time after the fire department responders left, but woke later to find her home filled with smoke. A second call went out to the fire department at 1:09 a.m. on Dec. 14, Penny said.

“I grabbed the phone and went out the back door by my bedroom and told my son, ‘There’s a fire in the house,’” she said. “He came in and we couldn’t do much of anything. It was just engulfed; it was unbelievable how fast it was gone.”

Johnson said an investigator told her the second fire was sourced back to an electric coffee pot that was plugged into an outlet behind the stove. Penny could not confirm that was the cause of the fire.

Johnson said the fire department arrived “a few minutes” after her call, but that was already too late to save the home. She was able to rescue her small service dog and two of her cats, but she has been unable to locate the third cat.

Nearly all of the family’s other possessions were lost.

“We’re desperate,” said Johnson, who has received clothing from responders to a social media post made by her daughter, Bonnie, on a Nanaimo group site. “I’ve cried so many tears I’m all dried out.”

A neighbour in a nearby trailer park, who did not wish to share her name, has teamed with other residents to collect personal hygiene products and toiletries to donate to the family.

Johnson said an account to assist the family has been established through the Nanoose Bay branch of Coastal Community Credit Union, but the branch was closed when The NEWS tried to make contact and a Coastal Credit Union staffer on Saturday said that information could not be confirmed until the Nanoose branch re-opens Tuesday morning.

Johnson said the insurance funding for her family’s hotel stay will run out this week. Anyone who has a lead on a rental house or apartment that will accept a small service dog (a Maltese/chihuahua cross) is welcome to call her at 250-616-3816.

Just Posted

Stan Chong, brother to legendary comedian Tommy, dies at age 82

Parksville resident loved family, scuba diving and umpiring

Development, taxes and 222 Corfield discussed at Parksville all candidates meeting

All candidates met on Oct. 11 to answer the public’s questions before the Oct. 20 election

Inspiring Qualicum Beach teacher suddenly passes away

English teacher and counsellor Carol Myhre remembered as ‘source of joy’: superintendent

Qualicum district students to develop experiments that could head into space

Youngsters compete to have designs reach International Space Station

VIDEO: First legal cannabis purchases as midnight strikes in eastern Canada

Newfoundland and Labrador was the first province to kick off the sale of cannabis, just after midnight local time

Boeser tallies in OT as Canucks beat Penguins 3-2

Vancouver wins without star rookie Pettersson

Mayor of Kamloops says ‘history has been made’ with vote on B.C.’s lone pot shop

The store to be run by the province in B.C.’s Interior is opening Wednesday as pot sales become legal across Canada

New bus route to ‘replace’ Greyhound along Trans-Canada Highway

Rider Express Transportation says they will soon begin a bus service from Winnipeg to Vancouver

U.S. pot firm urges Trump to deny Canadian producers ‘competitive advantage’

The challenge for U.S. firms lies in the fact that while recreational cannabis is legal in nine states and medicinal pot in 22 others, it remains illegal under federal law

Government says imprisoned Canadian terror suspects must face consequences

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale showed little sympathy Tuesday for such individuals who now want to return to Canada

How rules for inmate segregation in Canada will change under Bill C-83

Federal government proposing changes to rules around inmates in federal correctional institutions

Canada Post union issues strike notice; rotating strikes could begin Monday

Union says rotating strikes will begin if agreements aren’t reached with bargaining units

Duncan play faces challenges even before first performance as thieves strike

Thefts hamper Deathtrap days before opening at Mercury Theatre

Most Read