One man has been charged following an alleged home invasion that left another man with minor injuries in Nanaimo. (File photo)

One man has been charged following an alleged home invasion that left another man with minor injuries in Nanaimo. (File photo)

One man hurt, four arrested after home invasion in Nanaimo

One suspect facing charges after Jan. 6 incident on Second Street

Four men were arrested after another man was hurt in a home invasion last week.

Nanaimo RCMP, in a press release, said officers found a victim suffering from minor injuries when they responded to a report of a home invasion Jan. 6 at about 7 p.m. in the 500 block of Second Street.

RCMP officers – including a special projects unit and Police Dog Services – “flooded the area,” the release noted, and found a suspect vehicle trying to flee the scene of the crime. Four men, all from Nanaimo, were arrested and taken to Nanaimo RCMP detachment for further investigation.

Upon arriving at the home, police found a man in his early 20s who had suffered minor injuries during an altercation with the suspects.

A 35-year-old man will appear in provincial court in Nanaimo on March 15 to face a charge of assault with a weapon. He has been released from custody, as have the other three men, none of whom will face charges.

“The response by officers to this dangerous volatile situation was a clear-cut example of the strong communication between 911 dispatchers, general duty patrol officers and specialized plain clothes units, whose goal is to ensure the safety of the citizens of Nanaimo,” said Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, in the release. “It appears at this time the incident was an isolated deliberate event and that there is no further risk to the public.”

READ ALSO: Man shot and seriously injured on Nanaimo’s View Street

READ ALSO: Nanaimo city councillors discuss perceptions and realities of neighbourhood safety



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

CrimeRCMP Briefs