Residents will get a chance to give their input on the Town of Qualicum Beach’s zoning amendment that would allow backyard chicken in residential areas.
But they need to register if they plan to express their views at the committee of the whole meeting that will take place April 6 via Zoom.
The public may speak at the public hearing by:
• Attending the meeting in the council chamber at Town Hall, 660 Primrose St., Qualicum Beach. Participation will be electronically via Zoom, operated from the council chambers.
Written submissions may also be made to the Town of Qualicum Beach by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to #201 - 660 Primrose St., Qualicum Beach, BC V9K 1S7, Attention: Planning; or in person at the same address between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Written submissions must be received before the close of the public hearing.
In addition to amending the zoning, the bylaw to regulate, prohibit, and impose requirements in relation to animals in the Town of Qualicum Beach No. 649, 2009 is proposed to be amended to include the following regulations as part of the licensing system for backyard poultry:
• Setback requirements for coops and runs;
• Size requirements for coops and runs;
• Number of backyard poultry;
• Prohibited activities; and,
• Requirements for backyard poultry food and manure.
A copy of the proposed bylaw and relevant documents, including the proposed regulations, may be inspected online at www.qualicumbeach.com/publichearing or by appointment at Town Hall between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday to Friday from Monday, March 21, 2022 to Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 10 a,m.
— NEWS Staff