KOVACH, Rudolph (Rudy)
April 9, 1929 – December 12, 2006.
It is with profound sadness that the family announces the passing of Rudy on December 12, 2006 in Nanaimo Hospital.
He was predeceased by his father Frank in 1945; his Mother Mary in 1990; his wife Violet in 1995 and his step-father Gus in 2001. He is survived by his loving family, son Paul Kovach, Nanaimo, daughters Thea Kovach, Coombs and Zoe Robertson, Vancouver. One grandson Ponte Kearney. His sister Frances, brother-in-law Ted, nephew Aaron and niece Susan. One uncle Anton Muhitch, Toronto and numerous cousins. Also, many loyal and caring friends. He will be greatly missed by everyone.
Rudy was born in Yugoslavia and came to Port Alberni in 1937.
Rudy studied Art in the Vancouver School of Art and graduated with honours in 1952. He went on to instruct drawing and graphics and design, at the school for a number of years. In 1956 he organized the firm that became Hopping, Kovach and Grinnell Design Consultants, one of the leading industrial commercial design firms in Canada. He was involved with the planning and design of such well-known projects as Vancouver’s Gastown, the Centennial Museum, the Vancouver Public Aquarium, BC Heritage Village, and the UBC Museum of Anthropology. In 1973 he worked Nanaimo waterfront projects, including installing park space, the seawall and other facilities. Many of the principle hotels, shopping centres and public buildings in the lower mainland have been clients of his firm. He was also involved in some of the world expos such as Montreal, Spokane, Japan and Vancouver.
A celebration of Rudy’s life will be held at a later date to be announced.